UMCOR sent an emergency grant of $10,000 to a partner Agency in Turkey, International Blue Crescent (IBC) for its response to the earthquake that struck Bingöl on May 1, 2003. IBC will use the money towards feeding and clothing those who have been affected.
Please give to UMCOR Advance #675205 and designate "Turkey Earthquakes" on the memo line of your check. Give through your local United Methodist church or mail contributions to: UMCOR, 475 Riverside Dr., Room 330, New York, NY 10115. Call 1-800-554-8583 to make a credit card donation. One hundred percent of your gift goes to the response that you designate. United Methodists' generous giving to the One Great Hour of Sharing, part of their ongoing contribution to mission around the world, supplements the cost of Advance gifts.
A home in Yakasenek damaged by the earthquake in 2002. UMCOR/Turkey, February 2002.
Onsite and Partners News
- In Turkey, Hearing Impaired Students Give Major Performance, UMCOR, August 5, 2003.
- Earthquake in Bingöl: IBC has sent thousands of blankets and cloths, International Blue Crescent, May 1, 2003.
- Turkey earthquake: Desperate people abandoned their homes, International Blue Crescent, May 1, 2003.
- Quake Rocks Turkey, Trapping Students, Disaster News Network, May 1, 2003.
Archives 1999, 2002
- UMCOR Hotline, February 8, 2002.
- Waiting for the big quake , Disaster News Network, March 25, 2002.
- Long After Earthquake, UMCOR Work Continues in Turkey, UMNS, February 9, 2001.
- Surviving the Winter after the Earthquakes by Beverly Bartlett, 2001.
- Turkey's quake survivors welcome church aid, UMNS, February 7, 2000.
- UMCOR plans projects for Turkey earthquake victims, UMNS January 6, 2000.
- People of Turkey face enormous long-term challenges ahead by Chris Herlinger, September 2, 1999.
- Update on UMCOR's Response to the Turkey Earthquake, August 31, 1999.
- Florida couple loses four grandchildren in Turkey earthquake, UMNS, August 23, 1999.
- WHO Warns Against Health Misconceptions in Wake of Turkish Earthquake, WHO, August 20, 1999.
- ACT Member Churches Provide Aid to Earthquake Victims, ACT, August 19, 1999.
- Relief Web, United Nations
ReliefWeb is a project of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA). When a disaster strikes, it features news from UMCOR and other relief agencies.
Maps, Photos, and Background
Photo: A young woman collects bread for her family at a tent city in Ducze, Turkey. UMNS photo by Daniel R. Gangler, Disaster News Network, 2000.