About UMCOR Sudan Response News.
UMCOR has opened a new mission of direct relief and rehabilitation in the embattled Darfur region of Sudan. The UMCOR board of directors, meeting in April 2005, approved projects in agriculture extension, emergency supply distribution, and small-scale livelihoods totaling just over $1 million. The initial work will concentrate in South Darfur. UMCOR has worked for many months with a coalition of other humanitarian organizations to provide assistance to Sudanese refugees fleeing from Darfur into the neighboring nation of Chad. That will continue.
Your gifts to UMCOR's Sudan Emergency, Advance #184385 will support relief efforts. One hundred percent of your gift goes to humanitarian work in Sudan. United Methodists' generous giving to the One Great Hour of Sharing, part of their ongoing contribution to mission around the world, supplements the cost of Advance gifts. Give through your local United Methodist church or send contributions to: UMCOR, 475 Riverside Dr., Room 330, New York, NY 10115. Call toll-free 1-800-554-8583 to make a credit card donation.
Photo: Asisa Ateib, a refugee from Korney in West Darfur, in her tent at Mile Camp in Chad. Your support of UMCOR's Sudan Emergency Advance will enable displaced Sudanese people like Asisa and her family to receive essential supplies and will also help provide supplementary food for malnourished children. Credit: Bjarne Ussing, DanChurchAid/ACT International, June 2004.
Onsite and Partners News
- UMCOR's Work in Sudan.
- Church Bulletin Insert: Sudan Emergency.
- UMCOR Board Affirms Work in Sudan And Releases Funding Information, UMCOR, April 12, 2005.
- UMCOR Opens Relief Operations in Embattled Darfur Area of Sudan, UMCOR, February 4, 2005.
- Audio interview with Africa expert Jennifer Poitras, who led an UMCOR assessment team that went to Sudan in Fall 2004.
Windows Media Audio: Slow Modem Connection - Fast Cable, DSL, or T Connection. (Get Windows Media Player)
- UMCOR Hotline, November 23, 2004.
- UMCOR Hotline, November 16, 2004.
- United Methodist Relief Agency to Set up Operations Inside Sudan, GBGM, November 16, 2004.
- United Methodist Mission Agency Commits $100,000 to Sudan, UMNS, October 29, 2004.
- UMCOR Team Heads for Darfur, UMCOR, October 26, 2004.
- Sudan Relief and Development Supplies Cost List.
- News & Updates from ACDER (ACDER is one of UMCOR's partners in Sudan.)
- UMCOR Hotline, August 10, 2004.
- UMCOR Provides Emergency Relief in Sudan, July 21, 2004.
- UMCOR Hotline, June 29, 2004.
- Providing a Welcome to Refugees on Inhospitable Land, ACT, July 14, 2004.
- Escaping Attacks, Displaced Families Find Desperate Situation in Camps, ACDER, July 5, 2004.
- Interviews with Women in Camps of Internally Displaced Persons, ACDER, July 1, 2004.
- ACT and Caritas to Distribute Survival Kits in Darfur, ACT, June 30, 2004.
- UMCOR Hotline, June 29, 2004.
- UMCOR Hotline, June 22, 2004.
- Sudan Ecumenical Forum Urges Final Agreement to Strengthen Peace, ENI, June 18, 2004.
- ACT and Caritas join forces in Sudan ACT, June 16, 2004.
- Mission Leader Takes Cautious View of Sudan Peace Accords, GBGM, June 2, 2004.
- Mission Leaders Call for International Peacekeeping to Avoid "Ethnic Cleansing" in Region of Sudan, Elliot Wright, April 28, 2004.
- UMCOR Hotline, April 27, 2004.
- UMCOR Hotline, April 20, 2004.
- UMCOR Hotline, April 13, 2004.
- UMCOR Hotline, March 30, 2004.
- UMCOR Hotline, February 3, 2004.
Maps and Background
The map(s) is in the public domain, adapted from one(s) obtained the Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection, courtesy of The General Libraries, The University of Texas at Austin.