Middle East Emergency Response
Your generous gift to Middle East Emergency Advance #601740 will help underwrite projects of nutritional support, micro-enterprise, medical aid and psycho-social support for women and men, children and youth, throughout the Palestinian territories. One hundred percent of your tax-deductible gift will be used in this effort. The generous giving of United Methodists to the One Great Hour of Sharing supplements the cost of Advance gifts. Give through a local United Methodist church or send financial contributions to: UMCOR, 475 Riverside Dr., Room 330, New York, NY 10115. Call 1-800- 554-8583 to make a credit card donation. UMCOR is working with its ecumenical partners in this response.
Photo: A young patient receives emergency treatment at East Jerusalem's Augusta Victoria Hospital, which has received support from UMCOR through its ecumenical partnership with Action by Churches Together (ACT). Credit: Paul Jeffrey/ACT International 2003. See more photographs from his recent trip to the Palestinian territories.
Onsite and UMCOR Partner News
- Palestine News Search, GBGM.
- Photo Library: Occupied Palestinian Territories 2003 by Paul Jeffrey.
- UMCOR Hotline, September 19, 2003.
- Coalition of Churches Fights for Palestinian Health Rights, Paul Jeffrey, October 20, 2003.
- Churches Lend Hope to Palestinians' Struggle to Survive, Paul Jeffrey, October 20, 2003.
- Job Training Helps Build Healthy Palestinian Society, Paul Jeffrey, October 20, 2003.
- News Archives 1996--2002
- Offsite News.
Photos, Maps, and Resources
- Augusta Victoria Hospital, Jerusalem
Since 1950 the Augusta Victoria Hospital has been a project of the Lutheran World Federation. Its main task has been to provide services for Palestinian Refugees in cooperation with UNRWA, the United Nations agency that has been responsible for the refugee-programs in the region since 1948. Today, the hospital continues to develop services for the Palestinian community, mostly on a charitable basis. (See also: UMCOR Assists Overwhelmed Palestinian Hospital.)
- History of the Middle East Conflict, BBC Timeline 1948-Present
- Jerusalem's Holy Sites, BBC interactive map giving background about the holy sites and the current conflicts
- Map of the West Bank (2000)
- Maps of the West Bank and Gaza, The Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection, The University of Texas at Austin
Palestinian Center for Rapprochement Between People
Established as a group in 1988, PCR works to promote grassroots dialogue and joint work between Palestinians and people from different nationalities. Its main objective is to encourage peaceful solutions to the Palestinian cause through disabling existing stereotypes and prejudice.
- U.S. Church Leaders Visit Middle East, UMNS Photo Gallery, December 2000
United Methodist Resolutions
Offsite and Ongoing News