UMCOR Hurricanes 2003
The 2003 hurricane season saw 15 named storms in the Atlantic/Caribbean and 16 in the eastern North Pacific. Hurricane Isabel, which struck the east coast, created the most devastation. More contributions are needed to enable UMCOR to respond fully to this disaster.
Please give generously to UMCOR's Hurricanes 2003, Advance #982438. Your tax-deductible gift may be placed in United Methodist church offering plates or sent directly to: UMCOR, 475 Riverside Drive, Room 330, New York, N.Y. 10115. Checks should be written to UMCOR. Call 1-800-554-8583 to make a credit card donation. Persons who can volunteer to work in the recovery efforts may call the Volunteer Hotline toll free: 1-800-918-3100.
You can also help replenish the supply of flood buckets at the UMCOR Sager Brown Depot. Flood buckets are filled with cleaning supplies that people use to clean their homes after floods and hurricanes. For assembly and shipping instructions, call the depot at 1-800-814-8765 or visit UMCOR's emergency kits webpage. Please note that UMCOR cannot pay for shipping or pick up flood buckets to transport them to the depot. You may also give a financial donation to purchase cleaning supplies that the Depot staff and volunteers will use to assemble flood buckets. To help purchase cleaning supplies, give to UMCOR's Material Resource Ministry, Advance #901440.
Photo: In Poquoson, Virginia, a sign "BAD ISABEL" painted on a board in front of ruined furniture shows one homeowner's feelings toward Hurricane Isabel. Credit: A DNN photo by PJ Heller, http://www.disasternews.net
News About the Storms
Atlantic Storms: Ana-Bill-Claudette-Danny-Erika-Fabian-Grace-Henri-Isabel
Background and Resources
- United Methodist Disaster Response in North Carolina: Right There, Right Away, Disaster News Network, September 26, 2003.
- UMCOR Hotline, September 26, 2003.
- After Isabel, a Struggle for Normalcy: UMCOR Helps with Long-term Recovery, PJ Heller, September 24, 2003.
- On Hatteras After Isabel, It All Comes Out in the Wash: Churches Find a Way to Help, PJ Heller, September 24, 2003.
- United Methodists Respond to Hurricane Damage, UMNS, September 22, 2003.
- After Isabel, People Need to Know Others Care, Disaster News Network, September 22, 2003.
- UMW Respond to Hurricane Isabel, GBGM, September 22, 2003.
- Recovery from Isabel Could Take Two Years, Disaster News Network, September 22, 2003.
- Church Relief Workers Begin Response to Hurricane Damages, September 22, 2003.
- UMCOR Hotline, September 19, 2003.
- Isabel Batters NC , Disaster News Network, September 18, 2003.
- As Isabel Approaches, UMCOR Offers Basic Safety Tips, UMCOR, September 18, 2003.
- Who's Vulnerable to Isabel's Wrath?, Disaster News Network, September 17, 2003.
- East Coast Jittery as Hurricane Nears, Disaster News Network, September 15, 2003.
- Isabel Threatens US, Disaster News Network, September 14, 2003.
- UMCOR Hotline, September 12, 2003.
- Isabel Becomes a Monster, Disaster News Network, September 12, 2003.
Tropical Storm Claudette
- UMCOR Hotline, July 25, 2003.
- Texas Prepares for Storm, Disaster News Network, July 14, 2003.
- Claudette Targets Texas, Disaster News Network, July 13, 2003.
- Tropical storm strengthens, Disaster News Network, July 9, 2003.
Offsite News and Resources