Children of Africa Study Links
Resources from The United Methodist Church
AIDS in Africa
- AIDS in Africa: Heartbreak and Hope: Children, Health and Welfare Ministries
- AIDS Spurs a Crisis of Orphanhood Across Africa, Washington Post, July 13, 2000
- UNICEF Calls for 'War of Liberation' Against HIV/AIDS, UNIFEF Information Newsline, July 12, 2000
- AIDS epidemic leaves half-million orphans in Zambia
- AIDS in Zimbabwe: Disrupting the Community's Social Fabric by Betty Gittens, GBGM, February 8, 2000
- AIDS Orphans in Africa: 1990-2010, United Nations
Chart of Statistical Projections and links to more information
Maps, Photos, and Videos
Biblical and Spiritual Resources
- God is Working Miracles, the Rev. Marilyn Robb, GBGM, July 26, 2000
- Hope, Faith Set On God by Una Jones, Response, May 2000
- Hope for the Children of Africa: "Relief, Reconciliation and Rebuilding" Biblical and Theological Foundations by the Council of Bishops of The United Methodist Church
The ground of hope for the children of Africa, as for all God's
children, is found in the mission and ministry of Jesus, in his announcement and enactment of the coming of the divine reign of justice, generosity, and joy. And we know that this hope is sure by his resurrection from the dead.
- Let's leave a few things behind in the 20th century, a commentary by Bishop Kenneth Carder, January 4, 2000.
- Let Us Pray for the Children by Bishop Kenneth L. Carder
- Sanctuaries of Hope, Rev. Marilyn Robb, GBGM, July 26, 2000
- Somebody's Crying, Lord, Lucinda and Geneviev Scheldorf, GBGM, July 26, 2000
Hope for the Children of Africa
- Bishop's Appeal: "Hope for the Children of Africa."
- Children in War Situations by Brenda Wilkinson, GBGM, August 31, 1999
- Flooding Latest Challenge for Chicuque Rural Hospital by Beth Ferrell, Response, May 2000
- In Mission with Nairobi Street Children by Kaburo Kobia, GBGM, October 1, 1999
- Rebuilding Hope in Sierra Leone by Etta N. Nicol, Response, May 2000
News and Stories
Resources from the United Nations
- Impact of Armed Conflict on Children, Report of Graça Machel, Expert of the Secretary-General of the United Nations, Selected Highlights.
- UNICEF: United Nations Children's Fund
- Landmines: Hidden Killers, UNICEF
A section of UNICEF's The State of the World's Children 1996
- The Progress of the Nations, UNICEF
- Rights of the Child, UNICEF.
Includes the complete document The Convention on the Rights of the Child and other material.
- The State of the World's Children 2000, UNICEF
- The State of the World's Children 1999, UNICEF
- The State of the World's Children 1998, UNICEF
- The State of the World's Children 1997, UNICEF
- The State of the World's Children 1996, UNICEF
God's People in an Urban Culture
This page of "Children of Africa" links has been compiled by the Rev. Nancy A. Carter, Ph.D. Please send suggestions and corrections to her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Disclaimer: Some links jump to outside sites for further information and resources. Links do not constitute an endorsement by the Women's Division of the information on other web sites. External web sites offer us diverse perspectives; afford us an opportunity to compare them to United Methodist positions; and, encourage us to critically analyze the issues raised by the Children of Africa web pages.